Nginx, the most popular open-source, HTTP and reverse proxy server with high-performance, use to handle the load of largest sites on the internet.
We can use Nginx as a web server and as a reverse proxy for another web server like Apache.
If we compare Nginx and Apache, Nginx is capable of handling more number of concurrent connections.
In this tutorial article, we will learn how to install Nginx on Debian 9 Operating System.
Before starting the Nginx installation process, make sure you have a Debian 9 running system, and a user to log in system with sudo privileges.
You should also make sure the other web server like apache not installed into the system and port 80 and 443 opened from outside.
Nginx install on Debian
To install high performance web server Nginx, you need to follow below steps:
Step 1 – Update repository packages
Before start installation any package we need to update the repository package list by using the following command:
Step 2 – Install Nginx
Once the repository list updated, you can install Nginx by using the following command:
Step 3 – Verify Nginx Service
After successful installation of the Nginx web server, it automatically starts the nginx service, which you can verify by using curl command, as shown below:
Step 4 – Configure Firewall for Port 80 and 443
If you are using iptables as your server’s firewall you can use below command to enable http and https port:
If you use UFW firewall configuration in your server, you should use below command to enable http and https port:
Nginx Services manage with systemctl
Debian 9 comes with systemctl to manage service; you can manage Nginx service with systemctl like below examples.
To stop the Nginx server, type below command:
To start Nginx server use following command:
To restart Nginx server run the below command:
You can reload Nginx server by using the following command:
To disable Nginx service, so it not auto start on system boot, you can use below command:
To re-enable Nginx service again type:
Nginx important and configuration file structure
- /etc/nginx/ is the main directory of Nginx server, all configuration files are located here.
- /etc/nginx/nginx.conf is the main configuration file of Nginx Server.
- Create new Nginx server block files with extension .conf and it is stored into /etc/nginx/sites-available/ directory and making simlink files into /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ directory.
- Nginx server always read sites configuration from /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ directories.
- It is recommended to make separate configuration files for each sites to make changes easily.
- Nginx server’s log files saved with name access.log and error.log are located in the /var/log/nginx/ directory.
- The website files you can store in any location and set the path into configuration files but commounly used webroot directories are below:
Now you have learned how to install Nginx Web Server on Debian 9. You are ready to deploy any website or application behind Nginx web server.